Monday, July 28, 2014

14th Arrondissement


The fourteenth arrondissement is most familiar to me because it is my home for the summer. Here, I shopped ate and lived. My apartment was fantastic and I loved it because not only was I with my friends but it was in a great area as well. The fact we got to live in the city was great because it can get a little expensive to find housing in Paris. The Denfert Rochereau stop was close to my apartment, which made going places very convenient.

The Parc de Monsouris was very near to my apartment as well making it very convenient to go often. I loved this park because of all the wide-open space and the pond on in the middle of it. It was a popular park to run because of the wide-open spaces and many jogging clubs could be seen. There were also organized workout classes that formed in great numbers. It was amusing to watch the crowd during their Zumba class. I found a great spot next to the pond to read my book and relax. This was another favorite spot of mine in Paris. I liked the cleanliness of the park and everything it had to offer for me. As I watched the turtles swimming around in the pond, I fell in love with the park.



Prominent Architectural Object: La Paix Armée


My favorite place to read at the Parc Montsouris. 


This district could be eerie at times, because of the catacombs. The catacombs were just down the street from my apartment with several spooky entrances. There was always a huge line getting into the underground tomb. The catacombs are interesting to me because they removed bones from the outside of the city and placed them underground in the middle of the city. Only a glimpse of the tomb is viewable by tourists and the tomb is massive. It is interesting that under the city there is an underground maze.

Quite a line in front of the catacombs, some wait for hours. 


Commercial Business: Cafe Indiana



A room here runs 105 Euro a night. 




Population
Total population: 137, 189
Born in Metropolitan France: 78.4%
Non – EU immigrants: 11.5%  

Grocery Items
Dozen eggs: 1.35 Euros
Liter of milk: 1.52 Euros
Meat (Entrecote): 29,95 Euros

Population Data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_arrondissement_of_Paris