Saturday, July 19, 2014

8th Arrondissement




Upon coming to Paris, the first thing I saw was the Arc de Triomphe in the eighth arrondissement. It was a great moment because here I realized I had finally made it to Paris. I was filled with excitement and couldn’t wait to see more amazing sites such as this. The Arc is just at the end of the Champs Elysees where there are many high-end stores for shopping.

I was fortunate enough to be on the Champs Elysees when the parade was going during Bastille Day. The Parade was a different than a typical United States parade because it consisted of only the French military. There were fire fighters, K-9 units and all sorts of weaponry. I found it very interesting and found a deeper insight into to the French culture. There was a great amount of people at this event because it was the center of Paris and the biggest parade of the year. The Tour de France is also on the end of the Champs Elysees, where many people also come to watch the bike race of the year.



The Arc de Triomphe: Tourist Attraction


The Madeline is also a great site to see in the eighth arrondissement. The Madeline holds many concerts and shows. I had a great time visiting this arrondissement because of all of the great things there are to see.

Madeline: Prominent Architecture 


The pillars of the Madeline are huge and resemble the Pantheon. 



Relatively close to the Madeline is one of my favorite shops, Ladurée. It is filled with world famous macaroons and delicious treats. My friends and I sat and ate here and it was quite the experience. I had the café milkshake and it was one of the best milk shakes I’ve ever had. The store is perfect for getting presents at for your loved ones as well. I felt like a classy Parisian dinning here and would tell anyone to go here and at least try a macaroon. I had a great time here and thought this was a good example of places that are within the 8th district.


Commercial Business: Laudureé




 My amazing Cafe Milkshake at Ladureé

Most Interesting Site: Saint Augustine Cathedral 

A hotel here runs about 184 Euros a night. 





Population
Total population: 40,728
Born in Metropolitan France: 75.4%
Non – EU immigrants: 10.6%

Grocery Items
Dozen eggs: 1,66 Euros
Liter of milk: 1,32 Euros
Meat (Entrecote): 26,35 Euros per/kg